Sales & Use Tax Accountant
Overland Park, KS
Sales and Use Tax Accountant
Broad Scope and Purpose
The Sales and Use Tax Accountant will assist in preparing sales and use tax returns, maintaining sales and use tax records and preparing reports or responses to inquiries received from customers, suppliers, or taxing jurisdictions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches state and local sales and use tax rates, rules, nexus, exemptions and related data. Updates financial, accounting, and tax systems (Avalara).
- Understands the relationship between customer exemption type, product taxability and state/local laws to apply the appropriate tax rules.
- Prepares and files state and local sales and use tax returns and completes various other tax filings and related research activities.
- Researches sales taxes billed in error and issues sales tax credits when necessary.
- Assists with state and local tax audits, including meeting with auditors, data collection, analysis and resolution. Supports audit defense as needed.
- Analyzes and interprets tax regulations and prepares required tax reports so that the organization meets its tax obligations and objectives.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of state and local sales and use tax laws, legislation and current developments.
- Analyzes and interprets tax laws and regulations in order to prepare policies, processes and procedures to ensure compliance. Able to continuously improve the process.
- Communicates with all levels of the organization, including Sales Coordinators, Customer Service, Credit and Collections, Purchasing, Sales and Sales Management. Communicates regularly with Customers, Suppliers, and Tax Authorities.
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance
- Four (4) or more years of experience in the tax field or related area, with at least two (2) years focusing on multi-state sales and use tax
- Experience with Tax Software required, Avalara experience a plus
- Experience with ERP, i.E. SAP, Oracle, Infor
- Knowledge of MS Office Software applications, including Excel. Must exhibit intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures in the sales and use tax field.
- Demonstrated ability to address and properly complete simultaneous projects on time.
- Hard working, self-starter, performance-oriented, resourceful and able to meet the demands of a diverse business environment in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize issues, identify root cause and develop solutions.
- Ability to analyze data and reports and use the information to make decisions