Junior Category / Product Manager
Kansas City, MO
One of my all-time favorite clients is seeking a Junior Category/Product Manager to join their growing team. This position is a critical hire for them, and they are seeking someone who is driven toward success. This position is a Morgan Hunter exclusive and not posted elsewhere.
The Junior Category / Product Manager serves a critical role in the management and development of the organization’ s product portfolio. The Category Manager will be responsible for managing the category strategy, product roadmap and product portfolio within the assigned category(ies). The Category Manager will be accountable for managing within the NPD process, schedules, milestones, presentation and support of category recommendations to management, sales and customers.
Within each category, products may exist independently or within a line, that supports the category needs. This role will lead with data, informing and assisting the rest of the stakeholders relative to the category needs. These duties include, but are not be limited to:
10% - Category Development Strategy (focus may vary with new and existing exploration)
- Research assigned category(ies) becoming the subject matter expert for the organization.
- Development of category plans that succeed in meeting key objectives within channels of distribution.
- Creation of new category opportunities that broaden the reach of the organization and align with the objectives set.
- Understand and inform decision-making using market data, self-initiated research to uncover category opportunities that augment current business, adding to the tools and content available to the organization allowing growth or improved work within our environment.
40% - New Product Development
- Research, initiate and manage new products from concept to market within the NPD process. Includes managing ideas from internal sources.
- Market analysis of product opportunity across competitors, channels and within the product portfolio. Resulting in presenting a defined business case for recommended initiatives.
- Execution of new products or category introductions that include adherence to the NPD process, required schedules, and company's KPI.
- Daily high team engagement and thoughtful planning of new product opportunity for consideration bringing a thorough (appropriate) level of information and recommendation to the organization to invest in. Adherence to execution to schedules, milestones, and launch.
30% - Core Category Management
- Develop and execute category and product activities to achieve revenue targets and support customer (internal and external) requirements.
- Ownership of category performance reporting, assisting the organization in data-driven decision
- Sharing informed analysis and actionable insights.
- Internal and external product education, training and support. Support customer service needs as the primary contact. Exceptions are found in highly technical support. Inclusive of document ownership and proactive communication, tracking and resolution of issues.
- Collaborative creation of marketing objectives (not tactics) outlined to achieve targets.
- Trade show features, media support, online visibility
- Exhibits ownership in the business by informing and advising category initiatives through actionable strategy and tactics that are executed on time and/or as required. Proactive problem solving is important.
10% - Other
- Other duties as assigned.
Travel to the customer site, trade shows, vendors as required. Passport is required for international travel. Domestic travel is normally 1-5 days, 3-5 times per year. International travel may vary in duration from 14-21 days (there is flexibility here for those who can't travel as much).
Experience, Skills, and Competencies Required:
Creative and Strategic Thought – the ability to bring ideas to market with targeted results through understanding and managing the business
Business Acumen – working knowledge of market-based pricing, retail or wholesale distribution; product pricing, business plan execution, drawing financial conclusions, risks, and outcomes from data and market information
Ownership – Driven to act as the owner of the business through proactive and sound judgment recommending action and direction to management.
Self-Starter – comfort in managing own initiatives with high collaboration, and limited direction; can deal with the ambiguity of developing new product categories through seeking market opportunity
Impactful Time Management – ability to influence and manage schedules and dates effectively through planning and resource allocation
Collaborative – Collaboration, not ego, is required to get work done with and through others, in the building, as well as externally.
Morgan Hunter is one of the oldest, largest, and most recognizable recruiting firms in the Kansas City Metro. We specialize in locating and evaluating high-performing professionals for direct hire, temporary and temp-to-hire positions on behalf of local and national organizations.
Please note, our client will only consider applicants who are residing in the Kansas City metropolitan area. Thank you!