Fixed Asset Accountant
Overland Park, KS
The Fixed Asset Accountant is responsible for recording the cost of newly-acquired fixed assets (both tangible and intangible), tracking existing fixed assets, recording depreciation, and accounting for the disposition of fixed assets.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions listed below.
- Creates and monitors a system of controls, procedures, and forms for the recordation of fixed assets.
- Recommends to management any updates to accounting policies related to fixed assets.
- Assigns tag numbers to fixed assets.
- Ensures fixed asset acquisitions and dispositions are recorded in the accounting system.
- Tracks the compilation of project costs into fixed asset accounts and close out other accounts once the related projects have been completed.
- Reconciles the balance in the fixed asset subsidiary ledger to the summary-level account in the general ledger.
- Reviews and updates the detailed schedule of fixed assets and accumulated depreciation.
- Calculates depreciation for all fixed assets, including retirement obligations for those fixed assets to which AROs are applicable.
- Investigates the potential obsolescence of fixed assets.
- Conducts periodic impairment reviews and physical inventory counts of fixed & intangible assets
- Conducts analyses related to fixed assets as requested by management.
- Prepares audit schedules relating to fixed assets and assist the auditors in their inquiries.
- Represents the company during any audits that involve fixed assets.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- Bachelor’ s degree in finance, accounting or related field;
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience fixed asset accounting preferred.