External Reporting Analyst
Overland Park, KS
External Reporting Analyst
Summary of Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs activities necessary for the timely, complete and accurate submission of assigned sections of 34 Act SEC filings including quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and annual reports on Form 10-K, and Monthly and Quarterly Financial Analysis for Management and the Board of Directors. Compiles complete and adequate financial disclosure in accordance with SEC, GAAP and other regulatory requirements through authoritative knowledge, research, recommendation and communication of treatment and impacts of new/proposed authoritative guidance as well as applying authoritative guidance to new transactions.
- Timely, complete and accurate submission of assigned sections of 34 Act SEC filings
- Prepare consolidated financial statements timely and accurately
- Prepare and implement new accounting regulations and the applicability of existing accounting regulations
- Prepare assigned FERC pages timely and accurately
- Prepare assigned sections of consolidated financial statements and footnote disclosure in accordance with GAAP for non-SEC registrant company
Education and Experience:
Requires a bachelor’ s degree in Accounting. The preferred candidate will have 1+ years relevant experience in a complex accounting environment, SEC reporting, or public accounting including SEC and GAAP financial reporting preparation, research and compliance. Candidates must have familiarity with large-scale integrated accounting systems as well as advanced proficiency with Excel and Word. Experience within the energy industry and experience with Hyperion Financial Management, Workiva Wdesk and Peoplesoft are preferred.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Maintain working knowledge of GAAP, SEC and other regulatory agencies including the ability to apply knowledge to complex issues, develop approved implementation solutions and complete implementation
- Prepare and implement disclosure methodology for new accounting regulations and the applicability of existing accounting regulations. This includes researching and interpreting regulations, developing disclosures and gaining approval of management and external auditors as well as supporting the registrants’ position with the SEC and other external organizations. This requires maintaining the necessary breadth and depth of knowledge of the authoritative guidance of all applicable regulatory bodies as well as an understanding of the registrants’ operations.
- Display initiative and self-reliance with ability to self-prioritize multiple projects and strict deadlines while maintaining high-quality performance under pressure
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization including non-accounting employees
- Improve efficiency through focus on innovation, process improvements and effective use of technology
- Maintain effective internal controls by developing and following procedures, providing adequate audit trails and maintaining supporting documentation for all aspects of responsibilities
- Advanced proficiency with Excel and Word
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team-reliant environment
- Willingness to work the hours necessary to meet strict deadlines under pressure